Monday, 6 July 2015

Fantastic Voyage Mega Post

A quick update showing everything I've been doing over the past few days.

To start with I had a look at the scene where the hookworm enters the body. Originally I had a scene depicting the Hookworm, slithering up into the foot, in a really unbelievable way. Having the worm move through skin that didnt even tear was one of the things that bothered me about the whole scene in general, so I decided to change it this time round.

Starting with a basic model of a boot, I wanted this version to depict the PoV of the worm as it slithered towards the host and entered its body. I achieved this by moving the camera quickly through the environment and keeping it close to the ground. Sweeping around rocks and it homes in on its target.

I started by taking my original scene and importing a previous scene on top, To give me more of an environment to utilize

.
Then I moved onto modeling a basic boot to give the worm a target to go for, then placed it into the scene where needed.


From here on it was just a case of animating the camera in the movements of the worm, the rest will be achieved with After effects in the editing stage.






I wanted to include some smaller scenes into my animation so I started on modeling one of my eggs exploding open. This just required using the scene I used to model my original egg, selecting the shatter dynamics once again and then moving the shards around to give a convincing effect of the egg cracking and exploding upwards.





Finally I wanted to create a scene reminiscent of the lunge scene from early, but with some more camera movements. To do this I imported some older models and used them to try and create a surprise lunge from the worm.

Starting with the camera and lighting I did some tests on the pan and how to get the perfect lighting for my environment.


This was before I included my green ambient light, which I thought gave the scene overall a more interesting look, rather then this weird, spotlight effect.



After that was completed, it was time to move onto the animation of the worm leaping towards the camera which didnt take too much time to complete, and I am happy with overall. 












Wednesday, 1 July 2015

Fantastic Voyage Work Continued


Over the past couple of days I have been changing up a few more of the scenes in my animation, making them brighter and fixing the animations that originally where wonky and inexcusable.

The top image is from the first scene I finished. I have gone back and tested different ways of making the scene a little brighter. I have done this by including some glowing areas to give the impression of more eggs in the area that have already opened up.

After I had completed this I moved onto some my Hookworm Lunge scene. After dealing with a few model issues (the head kept detaching from the body when moved) I was able to make a few improvements.Starting with the textures on both the intestine in the background and the texture on the worm itself. I wanted to make them more organic and for the worm to look shinier. I also included some changes to the environment, including a vein like curtain across the scene to again make it more organic. These were made by creating cv curves, using the grooves in the intestine wall model that I had in the background and then extruding cube's along them, basic stuff really.




The animations have also been changed up, making the worm appear and disappear then interact with the camera towards the end just before the bite. In the end we ended up with a longer, smoother animation which I am much more proud of then my first attempt, which was rather lackluster and looked very sloppy.


Here we have the two new textures I am using, the first made by looking at different snake skin images and combining/ using brushed in photo shop to create, and the second being a mishmash of different meat textures.











Moving onto the next scene I started by adding more camera movements into the scene, having it sweep across the landscape, following the worm as it moved. I intend on redoing the animation of the worm as it moves along the floor, plus I will be including a second or third worm the is moving around in the background, to give an impression that there are more then one.

More updates to follow more frequently, due to having a few days off of work to complete. ( The previs from the last scene failed to upload to youtube so both will be uploaded shortly)


Photo's from the process that I am currently completing.